CIOAC-Histórica Near Land of Displaced Families of Primero de Agosto
To the nation and international civil society
To the Inter-American Court of Human Rights
To the Inter-American Commission of Human Rights
To the honest and independent centers of human rights
To the diocese of San Cristóbal de las Casas
To the alternative media
To the network against repression
To all the honest people of Mexico and the world
Compañeros and compañeras, brothers and sisters, we address ourselves to you, us, the 60 Tojolabal campesinxs displaced from Primero de Agosto. Our words are to denounce the provocations, of eviction and harassment by the members of the ejido Miguel Hidalgo, militants of the organization Central Independiente de Obreros Agrícolas y Campesinos—Histórica CIOAC-HISTORICA. Much damage has been done to us by falling into their violent traps but we have always said no to violence and yes to life.
April 7 and 8, 2016, the cioaquista ejido members of Miguel Hidalgo provoked us by fencing part of the land of Primero de Agosto, carrying firearms and machetes, and wearing yellow hats of the PRD. The cioaquistas know that we possessed that land and they displaced us from there. We became aware of this provocation because two of our compañeros were searching for cattle that they had lost and came across the fencing.
April 9, 2016, at 8:30 in the morning, Antonio Pérez Román (commissioner of the Miguel Hidalgo ejido), Javier López Pérez (municipal agent), Bernando Román Méndez (Regional Committee of the CIOAC-HISTORICA), Renaldo López Pérez (ex-commissioner), Antonio Méndez Pérez (ex-municipal agent), Adolfo Pérez Lopez (ex-secretary commissioner), Domingo Méndez Méndez, and the Catequista Enrique López Pérez, passed within eight meters of where we are displaced, all carrying machetes. They were violently herding, with dogs and sticks, eight cows and a bull of Nicolas Roman Lopez and six cows and two bulls of Francisco Méndez Pérez that were found close to where we are displaced and that are the property of the compañeros of the ejido Miguel Hidalgo that are also displaced. We saw all of this from the camp because we are here very close to where they passed.
We name the three levels of government responsible for the above acts, and for the lack of justice and lack of action to resolve the problem of land that is generating threats and harassments by the cioaquistas of Miguel Hidalgo. They feel protected and supported by the government that does nothing and says nothing, by the lack of the ability to govern by the Mexican State. For Maria Fernanda, we will continue to bring to light what officials pledge to do, and what they don’t do.
In consequence of the above, we demand the following:
- the fulfillment of the agreements signed on February 23, 2015 between the state of Chiapas and the community of Primero de Agosto, where the equitable redistribution of land of El Roble was discussed.
- The guarantee of security of the compañeros that attend to their cattle
- The application of justice to those materially and intellectually responsible for the criminal acts, and justice for Maria Fernanda Mendez Perez.
- Repair of the damage caused by the theft of our belongings when they displaced us, and justice for attempted homicide of Arturo Pérez López who was gravely injured in the neck by Aureliano Méndez Jiménez, secretary of the council of security at the time.
- We demand the authorities of Miguel Hidalgo that they abandon our town and end the fencing that they are carrying out around Primero de Agosto.
Town of Primero de Agosto
Las Margaritas, Chiapas, Mexico, April 13, 2016
Photo: encampment of Tejolabal families who are forcefully displaced. March 30, 2016 (FRAYBA)
Poorly translated from the original here: http://www.cgtchiapas.org/noticias/nuevas-provocaciones-cioac-h-alambrando-terreno-con-armas-fuego-contra-desplazados-1o-0